Software Engineers develop, maintain, and enhance complex and diverse software systems (e.g., processing-intensive analytics, novel algorithm development, manipulation of extremely large data sets, real-time systems, and business management information systems) based upon documented requirements. Reviews and tests software components for adherence to the design requirements and documents test results. Resolves software problem reports. Utilizes software development and software design methodologies appropriate to the development environment.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develop enterprise-grade software applications that run on the Amazon Web Services (AWS) platform and leverage AWS services to conduct worldwide scientific mission operations.
- Work with small development teams carrying out an Agile (Scrum) development process to leverage modern DevOps practices.
- Develops information systems by designing, developing, and installing software solutions.
- Determines operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions.
- Develops software solutions by studying information needs, conferring with users, and studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes.
- Investigates problem areas.
- Follows the software development lifecycle.
- Documents and demonstrates solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Prepares and installs solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards, and programming.
- Improves operations by conducting systems analysis and recommending changes in policies and procedures.
- Obtains and licenses software by obtaining required information from vendors, recommending purchases, and testing and approving products.
- Protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Provides information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing development and service issues.
- Accomplishes engineering and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical field; Master’s Degree preferred
- 5-10 years of relevant technical experience
- AWS certifications are highly desirable
- 3+ years developing in Java
- 2+ years developing REST web services
- 2+ years developing database applications
- 2+ years developing in a Linux environment
- 1+ years using Git, Maven, Nexus and Jenkins