We are seeking a Mechanical Controls Field Engineer to join our team in Fort Irwin, California to support our Space Communications Network Services Contract (DSN) with NASA.
In this role, you will be responsible for the overall testing, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of the Goldstone Deep Space Communications Complex’s (GDSCC) Heating-Ventilation-Air Conditioning (HVAC) and its mechanical and electronic interfaces. Supervises the implementation of Engineering Changes to the GDSCC subsystem equipment. Systems supported include the control system for electrical power, HVAC, and other assemblies in the Facilities and Antenna Subsystems serving NASA’s Deep Space Communications Complex.
- Assist in the planning, designing, analysis, cost estimating, and overall technical direction of control systems in support for the Deep Space Network (DSN).
- Serve as a project implementation engineer for new work, repair and/or replacement projects under the direction of the Sr. Controls Engineer(s).
- Understand and learn about multiple types of controls systems choosing the most suitable solution for the discipline and for the resolution of the technical problem.
- Collect project requirements, generate solutions, perform design evaluation and trade-off studies (cost-benefit analysis), specify hardware, prepare construction documents and drawings, interface with vendors/manufacturers, work the budget and financial responsibilities for the project(s), and perform implementation and testing/commissioning of the final product.
- Support and add technical knowledge in the implementation of projects involving the centralization and controls automation of electrical distribution, generation, and programming of the monitor/control systems; HVAC automation and monitoring systems; Fire detection and protection systems; domestic and industrial water generation and distribution systems; and other systems.
- Perform analysis on existing systems and recommend/implement corrections (this may include analysis of equipment performance, finding equipment replacement options, and identification of spare parts).
- Learn and familiarize the forms and functions of the Deep Space Network power distribution and control systems, (as well as work closely with HVAC and Fire Protection Engineers, and operations personnel at the Deep Space Network Complex).
- A BS degree in Engineering; an AS technical degree and 3+ years; or a High School diploma and 6+ years of related technical experience. Related technical training certifications or military training and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree and/or experience.
- Experience working with and trouble-shooting Automated Logic Controllers (ALC), Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), SCADA systems, DDC, analog and digital control (temperature sensors, pressure transducers, actuators, etc.) and tight-tolerance temperature systems.
- A valid California class C driver’s license.
- 1- 2+ years of understanding and experience with the engineering design process / system development lifecycle (as demonstrated by engineering projects)
- 1+ years of experience and knowledge with serial and parallel communication protocols.
- 1+ years of a basic understanding of computer networking and project/task management skills.
- 0-2+ years of experience with using linear electrical/electronic components, Electro-mechanical components, and non-linear electrical/electronic components
- 0-2+ years of experience with using analog and discrete inputs/outputs (I/O)
- Ability to obtain Public Trust, which requires a Federal background investigation and US citizenship
- Familiar with various types of sprinkler systems (dry, flooded, deluge); chemical suppression systems (halon, fm-200, nitrogen, CO2); fire detection systems (Supervisory and enunciating devices); various Fire detection and suppression NFPA codes and standards (NFPA 1, 13, 10, 25, etc.)
- Ability to follow applicable regulatory agency and site-specific guidelines and to properly document all job-related activities.
- Experience troubleshooting equipment utilizing mechanical drawings and electronic schematics
- Ability to collect and provide analysis of technical data
- Knowledge and basic understanding of various sensor equipment (pressure, flow, voltage, current).
- Familiarity and understanding of AC power, especially medium voltage, UPS’s, protection devices.
- Basic understanding of HVAC components (fans, compressors, chillers, dampers, actuators).
- Familiarity with Ladder Logic/PLC programming