LINUX senior administrator role supports the ITCC II contract at USSTRATCOM. This position requires a Linux administration background in Red Hat Enterprise systems. The focus of the ITCC contract is to provide Information Technology solutions to the government and participate in the strategy, design, transition, operation, and continual service improvement of all products using a standardized framework that is globally recognized by the IT industry. This position will perform advanced operating system administration functions, with the majority of work being command-line activities in a server environment. Required to be on-call providing 24/7 on-site support.
- Proficient administering RHEL 6 or later releases. This includes ability to manipulate the OS command-line environment using advanced Linux knowledge through the use of a large number of system commands and switches to troubleshoot and diagnose advanced operating system problems
- Daily work consists of troubleshooting production systems housing mission-critical applications, as well as developing proactive solutions for preventing systems degradation and loss of capabilities. This includes tuning the systems to achieve optimal performance based on customer requirements and standard IT expectations for modern-day, high-demand systems
- The administrator will also be responsible for performing operating system patching during standard work hours, with additional patching to be performed on various evenings outside of core hours as the mission requires. This includes a requirement for being available to work outside of standardized work hours for system outages and altered shifts to support contingency operations aligned with Customer mission requirements.
- This position requires flexible candidate that can tolerate a dynamic schedule based on the needs of both the department and the Customer. The candidate must participate in a rotating pager schedule being available for on-call support 24×7 throughout the year.
- Be able to assume responsibility for advanced troubleshooting and working beyond standard core duty hours to satisfy mission requirements, address negative impact that could potentially affect the mission, and performing work during all non-core hours in excess of standard pager duties in the event of an emergency or lack of personnel to stabilize a system
- Three to five years of Linux Administration in medium to large-scale networks
- Scripting to automate various processes using shell scripts or Perl
- Reviewing and revising documentation and standard operating procedures concerning the use of processes, and the overall management of mission systems
- Multitasking, prioritizing essential tasks, developing schedules for teammates or following schedules outlined by management
- Able to work with a team and develop solutions based on the technical expertise of other team members
- Conduct on-the-job training when the contract requires it.
- Perform varying amounts of self-study to maintain state-of-the-art technical expertise in an evolving environment
- Participate in vendor and/or operating system training if possible when the education is offered to the employee
- Bachelor of Science in a computer-related field or equivalent work experience of three to five years of Linux Administration in medium to large-scale networks
- Must obtain/maintain a DoD 8570 IAT Level II certification (Security+, CCNA Security, CySA+, GICSP, GSEC, CND, SSCP) within 120 Days of hire
- Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator (RHCSA)
- CompTIA Network+
- Information Technology Infrastructure Library Foundations