The candidate will participate in a program investigating the informatics considerations around patient-level health information systems, principally in the context of addressing health information systems needs for the US President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR). The program focuses on both clinical and population health information needs, considering the dual perspectives of infectious disease and managed chronic care. The scope of this work is primarily on back-end functionality rather than end user functions, but is cross cutting between health facility and all relevant ancillary health service points. The technical work includes the complete system life cycle concerns, and focuses on leveraging and producing open source platforms and applications. Both production level software construction as well as proof of concept development will be needed.
- Collaborate with customer leadership to create software solutions that meet customer needs.
- Works under general direction and independently. Determine and develop approaches and architecture for technical solutions to a wide range of complex difficult problems, with a focus on utilizing Health Information Exchange (HIE) as reference architecture.
- Design, develop and support open source solutions including workflows, web services, and reporting services.
- Performs software design using software development fundamentals and processes, debug, test, and deploy software solutions.
- Ensure secure coding practices are adhered to in all phases of the secure development lifecycle.
- Adopt both general information systems standards and specific health information systems standards where indicated by guidelines, strategy, or other requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems Management or related field in science or engineering with a minimum of 5 years of experience. 3 Years with Masters.
- 5+ years of experience working with contemporary practice in software construction, including agile development, team-based programming, test-driven development, and associated tooling
- 3+ years of experience developing open source software as part of an open source development community.
- 3+ years of experience in an environment generating production or enterprise software systems.
- Experience with J2EE platform, object-relational data stores, and associated toolchains.
- Experience with SOA environment, HIE, and distributed systems using both XML and RESTful API techniques
- Experience with using MS PowerBI
- Experience with application development for Health Information Systems and health related data.
- Sound understanding of open source development.
- Ability to integrate with a team and work well with others in a dynamic environment.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Creative and strong customer-oriented mindset.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in government contracting environment.
- Formal training in health informatics (degree program or certificate)
- Experience with the broad context of ICT4D (ICT for development), with health related applications preferred
- Experience with standards and frameworks for health data exchange, e.g. HL7, FHIR, IHE profiles, OpenEHR
- Experience with development for Open Source applications that are found in health information systems in the global context. E.g. OpenMRS, OpenHIM, OpenEMPI, OpenSHR