As a highly motivated Pre-Sales IP/DWDM Sales Engineer with software virtualization skills, you will focus on US Government customer engagements relative to IP/DWDM networking as well as software automation and will be responsible for delivering Pre-Sales engineering activities.
The team is building momentum in the Federal Civilian, National Security, and DOD marketplace with advanced ethernet solutions as well as software solutions in the SDN and NFV space. This is a technical sales role with focus on helping customers understand Ciena technology through product presentations, proof of concepts and demonstrations.
- Perform network and applications engineering for multiple client products
- Complete complex network designs for customer application of networking products
- Proficient in use of Network design and modeling tools
- Consult with potential and current customers on application of products for next generation architectures
- Prepare quotations and assist in proposal preparation for products & upgrading actual design.
- Provide product and technical expertise to support Sales efforts of products Prepare complex design and applications presentations
- Gain understanding of Salesforce/BPQ
- Interact with customers on a daily basis working on deployment, issues, etc – providing feedback into the larger team for resolution.
- Explaining product functionality to Customers ensuring they fully understand how it benefits them in their network.
- Bring feedback back into Account/PLM/R&D community to help improve product functionality in future releases.
- Provide updates on the execution and status of customer engagements.
- Travel to customers within US Government vertical.
- Ensure overall customer deployment plans and timelines are driven to success and any limiting issues are successfully driven through the team.
- Act as the customer advocate internally and as support to the customer.
- Occasionally provide help to Product Verification teams as a way to gain early familiarity with new product or functionality.
- Occasionally provide post-sales support.
- Technical Degree or BSEE preferred or relevant work experience
- 6-8 years telecommunications industry experience
- Advanced knowledge of fiber optic DWDM transmission and OTN switching systems
- In depth knowledge of multi-layer network architectures (IP, Ethernet, MPLS) and Core Routing/Switching technologies and protocols (BGP, OSPF, IS-IS, IGRP, G.8032, MPLS-TP, 802.1ag, etc) is required
- In depth knowledge of Route Optimization and Assurance, Segment Routing, EVPN and other Adaptive IP network architectures
- Software design and development knowledge (Linux, C/C++, Java, Python, REST, JSON, OpenFlow, OpenDaylight, ONOS, OpenStack, OPNFV, SDN, VMWare, etc.) is a plus
- Familiarity with automation, analytics and AI usage in networking operations
- Candidates need to be technically strong with L2/L3 networking, as well as SDN skills to include Orchestration, NFV and other software skills.
- Demonstrate working technical knowledge of Ethernet, Storage Networking (Fibre Channel, FICON), Software Defined Networking, Network Functions Virtualization, IP/MPLS, Encryption, WAN Optimization, Firewall, Virtual Routing and Virtualization
- The successful candidate will need to enjoy working daily with customers and have a “Customer First” attitude to their role.
- Great communication and presentation skills.
- 30-50% Travel Required
- Active TS/SCI Fullscope Polygraph